Tuesday, 24 February 2015

25th February

Today I narrowed down my short film ideas down to four with a small group of peers

*1. Girl loses her toy in the city,Through the girls emotional attachment and love for the toy it comes to life
 and finds its way home.Obstacles in the toy's path would be the fact of how small it is.

Over active Imagination Idea:
*7. Fantasy battle scene in a snowy setting,In the end the whole fight is just the imagination of two children having a snow fight.
*20. Kid is doing daily chores and begins to imagine them as epic fights.(fighting dishes with cleaning products) (Hooded figures attacking are actually just bed sheets)
(Giant dust bunnies attack)

Zany character in a everyday situation:
*13. Space cat gets lost at the Supermarket.

Role Reversal Idea:
*18. Civilized and cultured dragons living peacefully in cities are attacked by barbaric humans.

In a larger group vote it was decided that they liked the idea of reversing the idea of dragons attacking humans to humans attacking a dragon/dinosaur race that are civilized and wear accessories like monocles and use canes etc.

I then moved onto testing character ideas for the dragons.
The first thing I thought when I thought of "civilized" was a stereotype of a man in a suit with a top hat/monocle/cane.
So I drew a basic silhouette of both a generic dragon like creature and a "civilized" man

After talking with my peers I discovered that the civilized dragon race may have to be bipedal to get the civilized message across so they would not seem as animal like on all fours.

After some experimentation I came up with a hunched over old dragon with a cane as a silhouette which I quite liked.

Other designs looked a bit too cutesy.























I also experimented with different build characters and genders for the civilized dragon race.
After talking with peers in another small group I realized I didn't need to fully cloth the dragons as the whole civilized idea can come through in their posture and how they act as well.

I'm now currently looking toward figuring out what I want the characters and film to be visually aka the style.
Drawing dragons is quite outside my comfort zone so I haven't thought of a visual look I think would work as of yet.

Shows/games that came to mind for me and my peers were:

Jake the american dragon
Spyro
How to train your dragon

The humans I want to be seen as barbaric and uncivilized and acting on instincts.
Looks that could represent that are cavemen,barbarians,vikings.
I even thought that the fire-breathing ability of the dragons could be reversed onto the humans,making them into a mythological creature instead.

The next things I need to do are to gather images of things that could help narrow down the look in a moodboard.

1 comment:

  1. Here are some images that could help you with style> http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_3FSijEaJXo/TruyEu27Q0I/AAAAAAAAAXg/aKa5abgB0V0/s1600/MFAW_04.jpg and http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jw0uYOCn8JQ/TQtxd9doTCI/AAAAAAAAFHU/dKdv2oIqaH4/s1600/07_No+pets+allowed_+research_03.jpg

    ReplyDelete