Friday, 27 February 2015

27th February

Today I put all the images I found over the last few days into two mood boards,one for the Humans and one for the Dragon race.

I was suggested a short film by one of my peers to have a look at which helped a lot with figuring out potential storyboard composition.The knight's helmet in the top left looks a lot like a mask of sorts as well but I think I will stick will the caveman/tribal idea as it seems more animal-like and menacing.
I feel for a group project they could be a lot of potential to design different masks and have quite a lot of creativity.
There could be variety in the human build but I feel all of them should be hunched over somewhat and based on things like cavemen,gorillas and such.
Someone mentioned that the reason the more lanky ones could be hunched are that their masks could be huge and weigh them down,almost taking up their body in silhouette.


I've been having quite a lot of trouble with the dragon race as I've had many conflicting ideas from myself and my peers.Everyone I talk to imagines the civilized dragons differently.
First I tried changing the body from and "S" shape to a more separated neck, torso and tail.
 I also tried adding more contrast with straights and curves to make a more appealing silhouette.
I also tried a suggestion for the dragons to be quadrupeds with the ability to stand up on two legs,instead of just two legged dragons.
I was also suggested and given ideas on making the dragons cute and similar to My little pony in anatomy by a couple people but after some talking with someone it may not be the best idea as that style is quite watered down and overused in their opinion.
I will continue to experiment with shapes and try really exaggerate and escape my comfort zone more for the dragons.

Im not sure how I want the visual style  to look such as lineart and eye shapes/face shapes so I may need to just go with something.

I also submitted my story outlines and an extended version of my dragon story.
I settled on an ending with some feedback from my peers as I was not sure if the whole civilized dragons becoming vengeful and barbaric would subtract from the whole role reversal idea it started as.

Below is my three ideas I thought were strongest.

The lost toy idea came across as a bit creepy to some as a doll/toy following someone back home is quite weird.Though I was imagining a story like the ending in toy story where buzz and woody have to catch the moving truck.

Quite a few people went for an over active kid's imagination and I had a couple but they didn't go as deep or have any meaning behind them as the other ideas had.

I chose the dragon idea from a group vote and almost everyone I talked to either thought it was quite funny or interesting as a opposite of a known generic dragon story.
Tomorrow I will draw a bunch of varying humans based on the masked caveman as well as different dragons and shapes for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment